Pest control is one of the easiest DIY to do. Here are some DIY tips for you to keep your pesky pest away from you.
Tip 1 – Keeping Your home clean is key.
Rule 1 of pest control is keeping your house clean, especially the kitchen. The kitchen is the golden food source for pests as bits and pieces of crumbs would be lurking around waiting for their arrival. Wash your dirty dishes
- Wipe down any tabletop and kitchen surfaces
- Store food and drinks in an airtight container
- Vacuum, sweep and mop your floors regularly
- Clear your garbage daily or leave them in a tightly sealed bag so that your good friend the cockroaches will not come and visit you.
Tip 2 – Use unwashed eggshells to get rid of lizards.
Lizards are one of the most common pests in Singapore. With the use of unwashed eggshells lizards you are able to get rid of them. There are two reasons to use unwashed eggshells to get rid of lizards.
- Lizards aren’t fond of egg smell odor
- Lizards are intimidated by the sight of their predators eggs
To get rid of lizards, just place the unwashed eggshells in the places they are commonly found in Newspaper piles, kitchen counters, cabinets or even behind picture frames.
Tip 3 – The power of Coffee Grounds
We all love to drink coffee. But did you know that coffee grounds are fatal to some pests like ants. All you have to do is to sprinkle coffee grounds around the area you believe your pests are coming from and wait for the power of coffee grounds to work their magic.
Tip 4 – Essential Oils
You will be surprised what essential oils are able to do. It is an affordable and an easy way to make your own non-toxic insect repellents to get rid of your pesky pest. Mix 1 Cup of grain alcohol (vodka) with 2.5 teaspoons of your chosen oil in a spray bottle. Mix and apply to the affected area or the mist in the air throughout your home. Common oils to get to repel your pesky pest:
- Lemon Eucalyptus – Mosquitoes
- Lavender and Lemongrass – Chiggers, Flies, Fleas, Mosquitoes and Ticks
- Peppermint – Ants, Aphids, Beetles, Flies, Moths and Spiders
- Patchouli – Bed Bugs, Fleas, Gnats and Weevils
- Tea Tree – Ants, Mosquitoes
An easy all purpose spray recipe, Use two tablespoons of Peppermint Castile Soap per 3 liters of water and distribute them in a spray bottle. Spray over tabletop and countertops and you are good to go.
Tip 5 – Vinegar is King
Vinegar is king when it comes to getting rid of pests. Vinegar is best to repel spiders. All you have to do is 1:1 ratio of water and vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray on your window ledges, door frames, cracks or other openings. You have not just got rid of pests at the same time it could be used as a cleaner.
If all things Fail, Call Pest Control
Last but not least, if all things fail and it’s not within your control, remember to call pest control to help you get rid of these pests. Sometimes seeking professional help is needed before it’s too late. Feel free to contact us at +(65) 9355 0123 or visit us at www.ipest.sg for more information.